26-30 Casino Facts
26. Monaco eliminated income tax in 1869 because the revenue of the casino was sufficient to sustain the principality’s government. – Source
27. Thieves scammed Melbourne’s Crown Casino out of $33 million by hacking into the casino’s security system. – Source
28. The annual revenue from all Indian gaming exceeds $31 billion and represents 43% of all casino gaming revenue in the U.S.
30. Italy opened a casino during WWI to get information from foreign diplomats while they relaxed. Today the Casino di Campione is one of Europe’s largest; its revenue makes the local area a tax-free zone. – Source
31-35 Casino Facts
31. In 1977, a Las Vegas casino magnate once bet Stu Ungar (future three-time World Series of Poker main event champion) $100,000 that he could not count down a six-deck blackjack shoe and correctly guess the last card. Ungar won the bet. – Source
32. The still-operating Golden Gate Casino in Las Vegas once had a phone number of “1”. – Source
34. Harrah’s Casino has a policy requiring all female employees wear make-up and nail polish and have their hair “curled, teased, or styled” at all times. Courts have upheld their right to fire non-complaint women as these things are “ordinary good-grooming standards” for women.
36-40 Casino Facts
37. The casino resort Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas is named after the Mandalay region of Myanmar (Burma); a land-locked region without any bays. – Source
38. During construction of the Great Ocean Road by Australian war vets, the steamboat Casino hit a reef and was stranded near Cape Patton, forcing it to jettison 500 barrels of beer and 120 cases of spirits. The workers obtained the cargo, resulting in an unscheduled two-week-long drinking break. – Source
39. A Hong Kong gangster made more than $250 million in kidnapping ransoms but lost most of it gambling in a Macau casino. When he was finally caught, it was discovered he was planning to kidnap the owner of the casino. – Source
40. During WWII, the casino in the basement of the London Ritz Hotel became known as the nightclub La Popote. The interior of the club was made to simulate a combat dugout complete with sandbags. – Source