Here are 38 Evolution facts.
1-5 Evolution Facts
1. Blond hair in humans developed only 11,000 years ago as an evolutionary response to the lack of sunlight in Northern Europe to enable more Vitamin D synthesis. – Source
2. The Hindu religion states that science only offers a limited view of reality, but all it offers is right and correct, meaning that the religion by its nature cannot contradict science, leading to the majority of even highly religious Hindus accepting evolution as fact. – Source
3. The Stoned Ape Theory is a controversial theory from Terence McKenna which states that a lot of our advanced human evolution came as a result of the ingestion of psilocybin mushrooms, also known as magic mushrooms by our primate ancestors. – Source
4. “Sally sells seashells by the sea shore” is based on the real life of Mary Anning, who dug up fossils to sell to tourists at the beach in the 1800s to help her poor family. She discovered several intact dinosaur skeletons, including findings that contributed to the eventual theory of evolution. – Source
5. The Catholic Church considers the Theory of Evolution to be “virtually certain”, and believes that intelligent design isn’t science even though it pretends to be. – Source
6-10 Evolution Facts
6. In 1984, a 1-year-old received a heart transplant from a baboon but ended up dying 21 days later due to rejection. When questioned with why a baboon and not a primate more closely related to humans, the surgeon said he didn’t believe in evolution. – Source
7. The Pandoravirus is a giant virus where 93% of their genes resemble nothing known, cannot be traced to any known cellular lineage and suggests the 4th domain of life. – Source
8. In the last 5 millennia, genetic change in humans has occurred at a rate roughly 100 times higher than any other period of human evolution. Humans today are more genetically different from humans living 5,000 years ago than these people were from humans living 40,000 years ago. – Source
9. Scientists say caesarian births are “affecting human evolution” because women with narrow hips are spreading this genetic predisposition to their daughters. – Source
10. When Lord Kelvin claimed the Earth was not old enough to support Darwin’s Theory of Evolution, it was Darwin’s son, George Darwin, who helped prove his calculation invalid due to radiation from the earth’s core. – Source
11-15 Evolution Facts
11. Camels originated in the present day United States and only later spread to Asia and North Africa. – Source
12. There is a sea snail that wears a suit of iron plated armor. It is the only known animal to use iron sulfide as skeletal material. – Source
13. Ancient humans hunted Glyptodon, an extinct massive armadillo, in order to live within their shells. – Source
14. A pregnant Tyrannosaurus rex was found in 2016, shedding light on the evolution of egg-laying as well as on gender differences in the dinosaur. – Source
15. Octopus eyes do not have a blind spot and evolved separately from vertebrate eyes – an example of convergent evolution. – Source
16-20 Evolution Facts
16. People in the medieval ages never actually believed the Earth was flat. It was a myth created during the evolution debate in the late 1800s. – Source
17. In 2012, the Smithsonian officially recognized video games as an art form and had an exhibit to “comprehensively examine the evolution of video games as an artistic medium.” – Source
18. Nasir al-Din al-Tusi, a Medieval Persian scholar, put forward the basic theory of evolution 600 years before Darwin was born. – Source
19. A conservative think tank named 700 scientists who publicly reject evolution in favor of creationism. In response, the NCSE launched “Project Steve” and has found 1,250 scientists who support evolution, all of whom are named Steve. – Source
20. The recurrent laryngeal nerve in Giraffes is often cited as evidence of evolution, as opposed to the “intelligent design” from God. The lengthy 15-foot nerve takes an inefficient, circuitous route; It exits the brain, goes down and around the heart, then back up to the Giraffe’s voice box. – Source
21-25 Evolution Facts
21. Panspermia is the hypothesis that life exists throughout the Universe, distributed by meteoroids, asteroids, spacecraft etc. in form of extremophile types of bacteria. If met with ideal conditions on a new planet’s surfaces, the organisms become active and the process of evolution begins. – Source
22. 13,000 Christian clergies have signed an open letter affirming that evolution and God can coexist. – Source
23. A librarian found smallpox scabs stored inside a 19th-century medical book. In the 1800s scabs from infected people would be inserted into healthy people as a means of vaccination. These scabs have the potential to shed light on the evolution of the small pox vaccine used in the US today. – Source
24. Mammalian evolution has been fundamentally driven by viruses. – Source
25. In the late Devonian period i.e. during the evolution of terrestrial plants, there was a ‘wood crisis’. Trees became abundant, took CO2 out of the air, and caused an ice age, simply because the fungi that eventually would decompose dead wood & return the CO2 to the air hadn’t evolved yet. – Source
26-30 Evolution Facts
26. Empedocles, 5th-century Greek philosopher most known for the development of the idea of the Four Elements, also concluded that matter could neither be created nor destroyed and developed a theory of evolution concluding that form followed function and that the fittest survived. – Source
27. Geneticists have figured out the time that evolving humans lost their primate body hair by using mitochondrial DNA to calculate the date that head lice evolution diverged from that of public lice. – Source
28. Exposure to platinum can turn snails into their evolutionary decedents the slug. – Source
29. Flatfishes, originally used as evidence against Darwin’s theory of evolution, have come to be understood as incredible examples for the theory. – Source
30. Pandas were carnivorous but they inexplicably lost their appetite for meat during evolution. – Source
31-35 Evolution Facts
31. Ben Stein does not believe in the scientific theory of evolution and blames it and science as a cause for the Holocaust. – Source
32. All common citrus fruits were created by hybridizing just three species: the mandarin orange, the pummelo, and the citron. – Source
33. Light skin evolved independently in Europeans and Asians, and as a result, it is regulated by different genes. – Source
34. “Modern biologists have reaffirmed the role of sexual selection in the evolution of beards, concluding that there is evidence that a preponderance of females finds mates with beards more attractive than mates without beards.” – Source
35. Among all animals that include meat in their diet, humans are the only animal unable to break down uric acid, the cause of gout. This is due to an enzyme lost in early primate evolution. – Source
36-38 Evolution Facts
36. Over the course of the evolution of mammals, one lower and one upper jaw bone lost their purpose in the jaw joint and were put to new use in the middle ear, giving mammals improved hearing ability. – Source
37. Flowers didn’t exist until dinosaurs and mammals were already roaming the earth. – Source
38. The red grapefruits we eat today are the result of irradiated pink grapefruits from “gamma gardens”, where scientists in the 1950s fired gamma rays at plants in order to speed their evolution of useful mutations. – Source
#19 I believe is referencing the so-called “Dissent from Darwinism” published by the Discovery Institute. The “Dissent” in question reads something along the lines of, “We believe natural selection is not the only driving force of evolution, and that the evidence for evolution needs to be carefully considered”. Any scientist would agree with such a statement, which is why it was such a backhanded move because it’s used as “evidence” that evolutionary theory is not widely accepted.
It took “Dissent” several years to get 700 signatories, while “Project Steve” raced past 700 signatories in only a matter of days.
Actually the statement says that they believe random mutation and natural selection are insufficient to account for the diversity of life. I think that most evolution scientists agree with that but didn’t sign it. They are now looking at the neutral theory of evolution.
11. Camels originated in the present day the United States and only later spread to Asia and North Africa.
I was under the impression that camels had been around for quite a long time.
#31 And that’s why we don’t hear about Ben Stein anymore.
So Galileo was actually invited to tea and crumpets with the inquisition eh? NOT persecuted and forced to recant his hypothesis about the earth being round?
Never trust “facts” whose sole source is Wikipedia
Umm, Galileo was persecuted because of his views on the Earth’s orbit (though it was also largely due to him being an a**) not on if the Earth was round or not.
I don’t understand why disagreeing with a theory is such a big deal. It’s a THEORY! Until time travel is invented and we can go back and watch what happened with our own eyes whatever fanciful guesses we make about how life became what it is today will remain fanciful guesses. 6 million or more smart scientists all agreeing with each other does not make a theory evolve into truth
A scientific theory is not just a hunch or a guess. It’s one of the great failings of terminology that a “theory” can mean two very different, very distinct things. A layman’s theory is more akin to a scientific hypothesis, and a scientific hypothesis is really only a small part of a scientific theory.
Still with me? By this point you need to understand why a scientific theory is distinct from a layman’s theory.
A scientific theory is a collection of explanations for some aspect of the natural world. It involves a great deal of time and effort, a great deal of tested hypotheses which were either validated or failed, a great deal of research. Evolution is a fact. It’s a fact that animals and plants and everything else have changed over time, that there were organisms in the past which aren’t alive now; and there are organisms alive now which weren’t in the past. Evolutionary theory is the collection of explanations for how and why that change has happened, what factors and conditions cause it and drive it forward.
A theory is not a fact; it is an explanation about that fact. In much the same way, a biography is not a person, but the two are inextricably linked.
The things you say are “fanciful guesses” are very well researched explanations which account for all known facts and are invalidated by none.
but if we went with time travel to learn someone would remember to put that sh*t in the books right?
@fritoz. Galileo was tried for his support of the heliocentric theory, not because the Church thought the Earth was flat
good call, Dan!! thank you