We asked our regular contributors through e-mail What food do you swear people only pretend to like? We got many interesting responses. Here are some of them. We have just copied and pasted their responses, not editing them in any way.
1. As a swede, surströmming.
2. Some of the Jello salads out there. Green Jello with carrots (and sometimes raisins) is an abomination. Also, whatever the hell my mom used to make with cottage cheese and orange jello.
My family had this weird notion that if you put healthy stuff in Jello that it was a side dish and not a dessert. Nope, you just ruined two foods by making unnatural combinations with them. Mom never did come across a Jello recipe that she thought was a bad idea though.
4. To me avocado just has almost no flavor.
5. Oh yeah jellied eels.
Fish wrapped in some nasty gelatinous slime.
7. I don’t love vodka but I love what it do to me.
8. Anything I cook/bake.
9. I have the soap gene for cilantro, so I had my fiancé try a bit (raw) to tell me what it tasted like. Does it really just taste like grass for people without my curse?
10. Chitlins. Seriously, it’s intestines sorta cleaned and cooked. That’s it.