We asked our regular contributors through e-mail What mind-blowing (but simple) facts would satisfy a 4-year old daughter’s daily request for 1 fact before bedtime? We got many interesting responses. Here are some of them. We have just copied and pasted their responses, not editing them in any way.
1. Most elephants weigh less than a blue whale’s tongue!
2. Pineapples used to be so expensive that people would rent them as a centerpiece for their party.
Scotland’s national animal is a unicorn.
A single strand of spaghetti is a spaghetto.
At birth, a baby panda is smaller than a mouse.
Violin bows are usually made from horse hair.
The color red doesn’t make bulls angry; they are colorblind.
Herring fish communicate with flatulence.
If you heat up a magnet, it loses its magnetism
It snows metal on planet Venus.
Garlic attracts leeches.
In 1992, a shipping crate full of 28000 rubber ducks fell off a ship. They kept washing up for years.
3. Bees tell their friends about good nearby flowers by dancing.
4. Kangaroos can’t walk backward.
5. In Switzerland, it’s illegal to own just one guinea pig; if you have any, you have to have at least two. They get lonely!
6. Otters have skin pockets for their favorite rocks.
7. There’s an island in Japan populated only by fluffy bunnies!!
8. When a bee is chosen to be the new queen, they are given a special type of honey that completely changes their bodies. Kind of like how a Pokémon evolves.
Super simplified, but it’s still pretty cool to think about.
9. Polar bears skin is black.
10. Butterflies smell with their feet.