We asked our regular contributors through e-mail What’s a harsh reality that everybody needs to hear? We got many interesting responses. Here are some of them. We have just copied and pasted their responses, not editing them in any way.
1. You can become disabled unexpectedly at any point in your life. Make sure you’re taking advantage of the abilities you have while you have them. 🙂
2. Some people will hurt you, and they won’t care how you feel about it.
3. You can love someone with all of your heart and not be loved back in the same way.
4. Bad things can happen to good people. Good things can happen to bad people. It’s unfair. It’s life.
5. Not everyone likes you.
6. Just because someone is you family doesn’t mean they have your best interests at heart.
7. It’s a Star Trek reference, but it’s a very realistic one.
“It is possible to make no mistake, and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life”.
Sometimes you need to accept you did everything within your power right and it still went bad. And remember that this isn’t something to beat yourself up over. These things happen.
8. You don’t realize the good/best times as they are happening.
9. This one is both harsh and comforting.
People don’t think about you as much as you think they do. That means that your feelings might be ignored or not considered, people will forget things about you and might not remember things you’ve done together that were very memorable for you. That can be hard to realise.
On the other hand, they probably don’t remember that embarrassing thing you did in high school (or they don’t care about it), they notice patterns of behaviours, more than occasional bad days that you have. So those times you feel bad about being “off” with someone, they probably don’t think about them, unless they become frequent.
Personally I find that comforting.
10. Nobody is coming to save you. You have to do it yourself.