We asked our regular contributors through e-mail What’s the unwritten secret to a happy life? We got many interesting responses. Here are some of them. We have just copied and pasted their responses, not editing them in any way.
1. Stop comparing yourself to others.
Social media is directly opposed to this rule.
2. Your health. You can have everything you want but your health can easily make all of that meaningless.
3. Realistic expectations and a grounded self-image.
4. Honest to god!
Stop tripping up over sh*t that doesn’t matter.
The best thing my parents ever taught me since I was a kid. Don’t get caught up in small things, at all, ever.
Just instantly move on.
Being dispassionate towards small daily annoyances is such a comforting type of person to be around.
5. “You are depressed if you live in the past. You are anxious if you live in the future. You are at peace if you live in the present.” -Lao Tzu
6. An internal acceptance in general.
You want a better life, you take the action you need to take for it, but at the same time, you accept that for now, things are the way they are, and that’s okay.
You dream but you also, make peace with what is.
7. Stop trying to impress people you don’t actually care about, especially with capital you don’t have.
8. My motto is “Chuck it in the f**k it bucket “ In other words, if you can’t change it/stop it, be done with it.
9. Take joy in the little things/don’t say do things you can’t take back.
10. It wouldn’t be here, because then it would be “written”.