We asked our regular contributors through e-mail What’s your favorite way to eat potatoes? We got many interesting responses. Here are some of them. We have just copied and pasted their responses, not editing them in any way.
1. It’s kind of amazing how much butter you can get into finely mashed potatoes. Fine dining restaurants use a 3:1 ratio (three pounds potatoes: one pound butter).
2. I liked them boiled. Or mashed. Maybe stick ’em in a stew.
3. As vodka.
4. Hash brown.
5. Carne asada fries.
6. Scalloped with lots of sharp cheddar.
7. Poutine- french fries covered in cheese curds and gravy.
8. Without the bone tbh.
9. Home fries, with onions, and peppers.
10. Not my favorite way per se, but a way that I just tried recently. Pickled potatoes.
The Mexican restaurant on the corner serves pickled potatoes alongside their pickled jalapenos. I decided to give them a try. Sliced potatoes 1/4″ thick and boiled them for about 10 minutes until they were edible but firm. I packed them in a jar with 50/50 vinegar/water and 2 tbsp of salt. Other herbs and spices to taste. I used oregano, thyme, and crushed red pepper.
After a week in the fridge, they’re a great beer snack. Also, add carrots and jalapenos to the same batch for a variety of pickles in a single jar.