We wanted to post this in the AskReaders post, but the responses we got from our readers were so good that we decided to include these responses in today’s Advice article. So remember these are advice from our readers and not our personal opinions. We have just copied and pasted their responses, not editing them in any way and most of the respondents have requested to stay anonymous, so no names will be published.
1-5 Tips to Make Yourself More Attractive
1. Put your shoulders back, have a confident walk, and don’t stare at the ground all the time as you walk. I’ve always been told these things by my parents and others.
2. I’ve learnt that as a man I can either get away with scruffy hair or a scruffy beard, but never both. I’m currently rocking short neat hair and a stubbly tramps beard. The female equivalent is color; you can have colorful hair or colorful clothes, but both make you look like a children’s entertainer.
3. Don’t let your spit dry out close to your lips and form a grainy white coating. A guy in my workplace has this. Nice guy, but I am always scared that a big gloob of white, starchy, melted shortbread looking gunk is going to escape the chasms of his lip opening and embed itself in my face.
4. Drinking water is a very simple thing that makes a big difference. Staying well-hydrated makes your lips more colorful, your eyes look more awake and your skin look healthier. It also helps against bad breath and headaches. I’ve also found drinking just water makes you feel a lot lighter/slimmer than if you have a couple sugar drinks.
5. Head up, shoulders back, and tighten your core when you’re walking. If you want to look and feel more confident, change your posture, even if it means faking it (eventually you’ll start to believe it).
6-10 Tips to Make Yourself More Attractive
6. People always say floss, and the running joke is to do it a week before the dentist. So do this: Go into your bathroom and floss between a few teeth. Just for giggles. At your work desk? It’s gross, but a light scrape between the teeth with a push pin gets the same effect. See that white stuff on the string or push pin? Take a whiff. It’s awful. And every time you talk to someone, your breath flows out over those lovely rotting morsels between your teeth. That’s why you floss, not to impress the dentist. Brushing is good, but if you take 2 minutes to brush the tongue and floss, your breath is going to improve 10 tunes. It doesn’t matter if you use the picks either, just get that junk outta there.
7. This is my advice:
- Learn to breathe correctly; a lot of people are shallow breathers. Breathe from your stomach not your chest and set aside a few minutes every day to take very deep breaths. This will do wonders for your stress levels. A weary heart is often times visible on your face.
- Drink more water, eat more vegetables, stretch, and exercise. If you don’t want to go to the gym then get off the internet, put on music or a podcast, and go walk outside for at least 30 minutes every day. Your body is meant to move, do it.
- Finally respect yourself and be much more gentle with yourself. People are finicky. One minute they like you, the next minute they don’t. The only constant is yourself, so be more attractive for you.
8. Dressing a little nicer helps a lot. I’m usually just a T-shirt and jeans kinda guy, so when I do khakis and a button up, people usually take notice. Nothing too fancy, but it seems to have an effect. On a similar note, dress to fit your body type. Some examples: Don’t be the guy that wears an overly large shirt which fits awkwardly. If you’re a bit bigger in the stomach area, consider tucking your button-down shirt in. It’ll make you look slimmer. Wear the right style of jeans.
9. Here is my advice:
- Buy clothes that fit well; as rule of thumb just a little slimmer than you think you need is usually just right.
- General hygiene. Pay attention to your hair, use a repairing lotion on your skin / face, wear something that smells good without needing a reason and brush your teeth.
- Make eye contact with people talking to you.
10. Physically, a very simple skincare routine of face washing and moisturizing gives you a glow. Very simple workouts like pushups and squats make a fairly quick and noticeable change in posture which makes you walk more erect (giggity) and is apparently an attractive trait. Mentally, read, have interests and learn how to share knowledge.
11-16 Tips to Make Yourself More Attractive
11. Trim your nose hair and ear hair.
12. Pretend to be confident. Whether you have high self-esteem or not, other people seeing you confident is a definite +1. As a bonus, eventually you won’t have to pretend anymore.
13. Here is my advice:
- Stand up straight.
- Brush your g*ddamn teeth.
- Take a g*ddamn shower.
- Wear some deodorant. This does not mean shower yourself in perfume. I’m looking at you, Axe holes.
14. Ask questions about other people. One of the biggest turn off is when people don’t ask questions about others. It gives out the impression that they are self-centered and don’t care about anyone else.
15. Don’t be a complainer. I don’t mean “pretend everything is fine all the time” but don’t let yourself engage in – or especially start – that low-level bitching that so quickly becomes a habit. Try and find something positive to say if you’re struggling to make conversation, and if you can’t then express your opinion plainly. Don’t talk about being annoyed by something, talk about being disappointed. Don’t be the person who is always tearing stuff down. I cannot tell you how unattractive it is when somebody around you whines or is negative a lot, and once someone notices you’re doing it, they can’t un-notice. Also people will stop wanting to be open and honest about how they feel about something around you in case you’re negative about it. If all you have in common with someone is a love of putting stuff down and complaining about things then one day in the future you’ll realize that the only thing left you haven’t yet complained about in detail is each other and then the real unhappiness will start.
16. If you don’t like something at least see the appeal in it. People hate it when you blatantly hate something without giving it a chance.