We asked our regular contributors through e-mail What is so ancient only an Internet veteran can remember? We got many interesting responses. Here are some of them. We have just copied and pasted their responses, not editing them in any way.
1. Going into AOL chatrooms and saying, “Hey! They put a fireworks show into the chat! Hold Alt and hit F4 and you’ll see it!”
Then watching as, one by one, chatroom participants disappeared.
2. Having to actually type out “http://www.” before entering the website.
3. The construction worker excavating GIFs and the under-construction banner!
4. Real Player.
Also: uninstalling Real Player.
5. Counters on web pages.
6. Floppy disks and CDs that came in the mail containing 500 free hours from AOL.
7. Having to make sure no one is on the phone so you can use the internet.
8. Stickdeath.com flash animations of stick figures being killed in funny ways.
10. Dialing into the bulletin board.