We asked our regular contributors through e-mail What is the most interesting statistic you know? We got many interesting responses. Here are some of them. We have just copied and pasted their responses, not editing them in any way.
1. Of the 30 fastest 100-meter sprint times, 21 were run by athletes who tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs.
The other 9 were Usain Bolt.
2. The 48% of British people wouldn’t go to space even if their safety was guaranteed with the most popular reason being that they just simply didn’t have any interest in going.
3. 20% of the mammal species on our planet are different types of bats.
There are about 5000 species of mammals, and about 1000 of them are varieties of our little winged buddies.
4. A full 6 percent of Americans reckon they could beat a grizzly bear in unarmed combat.
5. Used to work as a meteorologist. More people die from flooding each year than from every other natural disaster added together. A good portion, at least, are people who think their cars can make it through the water when they obviously cannot.
6. Dragonflies have a 95% hunt success rate. Making them the most effective hunters in the world.
7. Since the mid-1970s, the world’s population has doubled.
8. Prostate cancer affects 80 percent of 80-year-old men at some point in their lives.
9. The average age of retirement in the US is 62. 53% of retirements aren’t voluntary.
10. In 2020, overdose with a synthetic opioid (primarily fentanyl) became the LEADING cause of death in all Americans ages 18 to 45. Motor vehicle accidents were the former leading cause for this age group.