We asked our regular contributors through e-mail What is 100% a scam? We got many interesting responses. Here are some of them. We have just copied and pasted their responses, not editing them in any way.
1. The individual who called me yesterday claiming to be “US Customs and Border Patrol” who said I had an illegal package from Mexico in my name.
2. Anyone – A-N-Y-O-N-E – promising to teach you the secrets of becoming wealthy at a free seminar.
I have a family member that got sucked into the Kiyosaki Bulls**t vortex. It’s a damn cult.
3. “You won’t last 5 minutes” game.
4. The “sugar mommies” on Instagram keep trying to talk to me.
5. Pretty much all youtube ads these days. If it starts with “this one trick can” or anything like “doctors hate this” doctors hate it because they have to explain green tea doesn’t cure type one diabetes. Tbh it’s flat-out dangerous false advertising but youtube doesn’t care.
6. Hydrogen-rich water. Had someone I know (this person is also into MLMs) try to sell me a thousands of dollars water filter. I looked up if there were any legit studies done on the health claims, and as I suspected, I didn’t find any really compelling science. Turns out most of the claims pretty much line up with the health benefits of just drinking more water in general.
7. Mom: If you tell me the truth, I won’t get mad.
8. The people that call my house trying to sell me duck cleaning.
I don’t have a duck.
9. Nutriboom. But I will say this, Debbie Stovelman is happy, healthy, and alive.
10. Low stakes but bikinis. There is no way that little fabric/stitching should be like $80 for each individual piece 🥵