We asked our regular contributors through e-mail What is cheaply made but sold at a ridiculous price? We got many interesting responses. Here are some of them. We have just copied and pasted their responses, not editing them in any way.
1. College textbooks on their 2nd to 100th edition.
2. Any cable (USB, HDMI, etc). They cost pennies to make.
3. Carbonated beverages and popcorn are what keep restaurants and movie theatres in business.
4. Makeup – that sh*t is produced cheap, especially the high-end brands.
5. Baby clothes are marked up by 1000% on average.
7. Sodium Chloride IV bags in hospitals in the United States. It costs less than $1 to make but hospitals can charge over $200+ per bag.
8. Bottled Water.
9. Glasses! I watched a video on the sunglasses/glasses/eyewear industry in middle school economics and we’ve been scammed this entire time!
10. Epi-pens. They cost like 2 bucks to make and then are sold for like $150.