We asked our regular contributors through e-mail What’s a sound you heard when you were young that you no longer hear? We got many interesting responses. Here are some of them. We have just copied and pasted their responses, not editing them in any way.
1. Remember falling asleep with the tv on and waking up to that weird colored picture with a BEEEEEEEEEEP.
2. The telephone ringing with an actual metal bell, not a recorded sound played through a speaker.
3. Weird water bed sounds.
4. Dot matrix printer printing.
5. The Camera flash a charging sound.
6. The daily arrival and departure of a steam locomotive.
Yes, I’m that old – but it was the most satisfying, powerful, unforgettable sound for a little kid. They were like huge living, breathing beasts.
7. “Call me now for your free reading” – Miss Cleo
8. The absolute obliteration coming from THX intro.
9. The “kachunk” of credit card imprint machines.
10. In elementary school, we’d watch movies on projectors with film reels.
So…the sounds of a film projector and also the white screens they’d pull down.