We asked our regular contributors through e-mail Why do you like to be alive? We got many interesting responses. Here are some of them. We have just copied and pasted their responses, not editing them in any way.
1. I haven’t tried all the restaurants in my area and it actually has been a good motivator to cherish the whole life thing.
2. There’s a lot of places I still want to go, books I want to read, movies I want to see. Even if I don’t get to experience it all before I die, I like the anticipation of it all.
3. There’s some sh*t I still need to do.
The list keeps growing so it’s kind of an ongoing thing.
4. I hold a terrible secret. There’s a skeleton inside of me. So if I die it will be released. It is a burden I must bear, to protect the world from skeletons.
6. I like having a connection with other humans. It is the only thing that feels worth it to me, but its also the thing I don’t like about being alive.
7. I’m terminally ill and the closer I’ve gotten to death the more I’ve just sat back and watched nature, genuinely stopping to smell the roses. It’s the little things in life that make life worth living. The family of birds in a nearby tree communicating with each other. The dog you wake up every morning to and can’t wait to see you and be around you. I even oddly like watching the trees rustle on a windy day. Watching my fish swim around their aquarium. Valuing the time and memories I make with my wife and friends. People that say life isn’t worth living need to try their very best to smell the roses, watch the sunrise or Sunset. I know sometimes life really can get us down in the dumps but life is truly beautiful.
8. I have a friend that’s going through some tough times so I like to check up on him every day and encourage him.
9. I keep hoping something worth living for will happen to me.
10. Someone’s got to feed my Tamagotchi.